Topics you will study
- Module 1: Development of Practical Skills in Biology
- Module 2: Foundations in Biology
- Module 3: Exchange and Transport
- Module 4: Biodiversity, Evolution and Disease
- Module 5: Communication, Homeostasis and Energy
- Module 6: Genetics and Ecosystems
Progression Routes – What’s in it for me?
Studying Biology at the Sixth Form College will enable you to pursue a general or a more specialised biology degree at university or even enter the job market directly and train with an employer such as the NHS. Throughout the course you will develop life-long learning skills.
Careers can include: Forensic Scientist, Conservation Biologist, Toxicologist, Geneticist, Environmental Consultant, Pharmaceutical Sales Representative, Zoologist, Marine Biologist, and Forester.
Assessment: Awarding Body:
Exam – 100% OCR
You will complete a separate assessment of ‘practical competency’ that will assess your practical skills. This is reported alongside the A Level and will not contribute to the overall A Level grade.
Results 2016: 98%
- A practical based course exploring a variety of biological aspects.
- A course that will build your scientific vocabulary and develop your confidence.
- A course that will help you understand the world around you and the functioning of your own body.
- There are 3 exam papers, each covering content from both years of A- Level learning. A-Level students will have their competency in key practical skills assessed in class in order to gain a certificate in Science Practical Endorsement.
Stoke6th Graduate Attributes
How SFC will help you to boost your CV by developing your skills and qualifications…
We have many links with Staffordshire University and Staffordshire University Hospital who provide enrichment activities and open days throughout the year, exposing you to a variety of job opportunities and university level lab based work in the College’s cutting edge Science Centre. Throughout the course you will also become a strong independent learner with excellent analytical and evaluative skills. You’ll be able to apply creativity and logic to solve problems, you’ll enhance your independent thought and you’ll develop your ability to discuss and communicate ideas.
The College will host a variety of guest speakers including industry professionals and representatives from universities. There will also be opportunities to gain medical related experience through workshops with, and visits to Keele Medical School.
What our students say…
“The resources here at the College are fantastic”.
“I have valued the support that I get from staff.”
“The topics covered by this course are really interesting.”