Topics you will study
- Youth trends
- Digital world
- Traditional world
- Equal rights
- Arts and music
- Regional identity
- Cultural heritage
- Germany, Switzerland and Austria in the EU
Progression Routes – What’s in it for me?
German can be combined with a variety of subjects at university and many students progress through this route in Higher Education. It is not just a subject which leads to jobs in translation, interpreting or education since employees with German skills are highly sought after, especially in the field of manufacturing and engineering.
A recent survey shows that only about 5% of language graduates go into teaching, and much fewer into translating or interpreting. About 27% go into business services, and around 10% go into each of the following: manufacturing, sales, banking/finance, community/social services, transport/communications.
Assessment: Awarding Body:
Exams -100% WJEC
Results 2017: 100%
- The precision of your work will improve as you will be taught by highly- qualified members of staff.
- Use of ICT will help consolidate and further your listening skills thus enhancing your understanding of spoken German and giving you greater confidence in exams.
- You will have the opportunity to develop your confidence and consolidate class activities through a range of materials and links supplied by the department.
- Your interest in German culture and current affairs will be developed further as the course gives you a greater knowledge of modern trends and issues in the German-speaking world.
- You will gain a greater understanding of how the German language works as you will develop an awareness of structures and patterns within these.
- Excellent pass rates and high grade achievement in Modern Languages.
Stoke6th Graduate Attributes
How SFC will help you to boost your CV by developing your skills and qualifications…
You will develop your independent work skills through a range of directed activities and be expected to research independently, reading extensively to enhance topic and grammatical knowledge.
You will recognise the values and contribution of other cultures and develop you communication skills so you can use the target language with increasing confidence.
To enrich your understanding of the subject and the real world application of the language, guest speakers, visits to universities and the possibility of trips abroad are components of this course.
What our students say…
“The course builds on your knowledge from GCSE, giving you greater understanding and powers of communication in the language.”
“The teacher is always approachable and easy to contact for help and improvement.”