Topics you will study
- Philosophy of Religion – Greek Philosophy, body and soul, life after death, religious experience, arguments for and against the existence of God
- Ethics – Ethical theories, Sex and sexuality, euthanasia, ethical language, conscience, God and ethics
- Developments in Christian Thought – Human nature and the meaning of life, life after death, the Bible, Jesus, the challenge of secularism, Gender in theology
Progression Routes – What’s in it for me?
Religious Studies is about people and their questions. It looks at issues and the responses people give. Religious Studies is a popular A Level both in College and nationally. Religious Studies is one of our fastest growing courses with almost 90 students enrolled across College.
It develops skills such as argument analysis, communication and allows students to understand and respect others
A qualification in this subject is valuable in teaching, journalism, medicine and any other area where you come across people and their ideas.
Assessment: Awarding Body:
Exams – 100% OCR
Results 2016: 96%
- THE COURSE – this is a fantastic syllabus with opportunity to discuss a whole range of big questions. It is of interest to everyone – religious or not.
- SAFE HANDS – relax, you’re in safe hands. You will be taught by examiners and authors who are regarded as experts nationally. You will do well if you put in the work.
- PROGRESSION – A good grade in an RSA Level will get you into any university that you wish to go and will give you the skills to succeed when you get there. RS is also one of our most successful areas with pass rates consistently above the national average.
Stoke6th Graduate Attributes
How SFC will help you to boost your CV by developing your skills and qualifications…
Let’s be clear. Most people who take Religious Studies do not want to be vicars. However we do have good links with faith groups and local universities that will give students a clear sense of life outside and after college.
On this course:
- You will develop RESPECT for views different to your own
- You will COMMUNICATE verbally and in writing being precise in your arguments
- You will develop a LOVE OF LEARNING, these questions will engage you.
What our students say…
“The quality of teaching is great; the teachers make the course easier to understand.”
”We are taught to evaluate theories and find pros and cons of other ways of thinking.”
“The topics are very interesting; the teacher is very supportive and genuinely cares about students.”