Topics you will study
- Development of practical skills in Geology
- Foundations in Geology
- Global tectonics
- Interpreting the past
- Petrology and economic geology
- Basin analysis
Progression Routes – What’s in it for me?
Around half of all UK Earth Science undergraduates studied Geology A level and it is also an accepted science qualification for progression to other science courses (including marine science), archaeology and civil engineering.
Geologists are important for the future of resources on earth; fuels, metals, water resources amongst a few, as well as possibilities in engineering and construction, making a degree in Geology highly valuable for future employment.
Assessment: Awarding Body:
Exams – 100% + practical endorsement OCR
Results 2018: 100%
- You will learn about the history of the earth and how it’s hazards are managed in a hands on practical way.
- By studying this course you will use the science skills you have already gained to understand the mechanisms that shape our planet and provide our resources.
- You will learn a range of valuable skills, such as 3D visualisation of structures, data handling and analysis, problem solving, interpreting information and synthesising it to form conclusions.
- We have excellent links with both local and Russell group Universities, who contribute to the learning on this course.
Stoke6th Graduate Attributes
How SFC will help you to boost your CV by developing your skills and qualifications…
You will develop your independent and teamwork skills through practical work, as well as technological and mathematical skills through the modelling and visualisation of geological structures.
You will become resilient. Field work can be challenging but rewarding, and you will develop a love for the subject as well as learning more about the world around us.
What our students say…
“I have felt supported all year but the field trips were really enjoyable and gave me a better understanding of what’s been taught in the lessons.”