This course will help you to become a more effective communicator and to explore how language has changed and is used in the modern world.
You will develop your own writing skills in a range of real-life contexts, as well as your ability to analyse other people’s speech and writing. You will learn about English grammar and the way people use language differently in different social situations. This course will develop your communication and writing skills through a range of practical applications.
- Language, the Individual and Society
- Language Diversity and Change
- Language in action
Develop your skills in writing for a variety of audiences and purposes.
Gain an understanding of how children learn to speak
Apply your analytical skills to a wide variety of texts from real-life speech and writing
Examination – 80%
Non-examination assessment – 20%
Awarding Body: AQA
2019 Results: 100%
Where Courses Become Careers
Studying English Language could lead to one of the following careers:
- Journalists – Learn how experts structure a good article
- Marketing & Advertising – See how the right words can alter the way people think
- Philosophers – Appreciate the difference between what we say and what we mean
- Speech Therapists – Understand how and why children acquire language
- Script Writers – Hone your craft by analysing discourse structure
- Teachers – Develop your own abilities in spelling, punctuation and grammar
Make your mark
How SFC will help you to boost your CV by developing your skills and qualifications…
Over your two years studying A Level English Language, you’ll develop the ability to constructively criticise yourself as a writer whilst also improving your creativity, independence of thought and communication skills.
Employers who want to pay you for your ability with language will appreciate the fact that you’ve learned how drafting a piece of work is never just correcting the spelling mistakes.
The skills that you’ll learn on this course are widely applicable to many careers and university courses.
Other courses on this pathway
- Classical Civilisation (A-Level)
- Classical Civilization (GCSE)
- English Language (A-Level)
- English Language (GCSE)
- English Literature (A-Level)
- Environmental Science (A-Level)
- French (A-Level)
- Geography (A-Level)
- Geology (A-Level)
- German (A-Level)
- History (A-Level)
- Philosophy (A-Level)
- Religious Studies (A-Level)
- Spanish (A-Level)