Topics you will study:
- Changing Landscapes – How coastal areas are changing and how people interact with the coastline
- Changing Places – Changes in rural and urban areas
- Global Systems – Hydrological and Carbon Cycles
- Global Governance – How patterns and processes of migration are changing, and the management of the Earth’s oceans
- Tectonic Hazards – Volcanoes, earthquakes, tsunamis and how people respond to them
- Economic Growth and Challenge – India: how has the country changed socially and economically, and what that might mean for the future
- Energy Dilemmas
Progression Routes – What’s in it for me?
There are many aspects of employment for geography students depending on whether you decide to specialise in human or physical geography. Human geography opens up career paths in development work, urban planning, while if you prefer physical geography then the career paths link more to environmental based areas.
Assessment: Awarding Body:
Exams -80% Eduqas
Results 2018: 97%
- Throughout the course you will study both human and physical geography.
- You will have the opportunity to take part in a 3 day residential physical geography fieldtrip.
- You will work independently on an Individual Investigation based on your fieldwork – excellent preparation for university.
Stoke6th Graduate Attributes
How we will help you to boost your CV by developing your skills and Qualifications…
Geography students are highly valued by employers for their skills related to fieldwork methods. You will be able to demonstrate that you know how to collect, analyse and manipulate geographical data. You will also have the opportunity to develop your literacy and numeracy skills – essential for the world of work.
You will be able to attend Geographical Association talks free of charge and will benefit from visiting academic speakers and former students.
What our students say…
“I have found the topics we have studied varied and interesting and choosing this A Level has encouraged me to study Geography further at university.”
“The Geography field trip was great fun and helped me to understand what we were learning in the classroom more.”