Topics you will study
- Fundamentals of Science
- Working in the Science Industry
- Scientific Investigation
- Scientific Practical Techniques
- Perceptions of Science
- Application of Numbers for Science Technicians
- Mathematics for Science Technicians
- Using Science in the Workplace
- Physiology of Human Body Systems
- Biochemical Techniques
- Energy Changes, Sources and Applications
- Electrical Circuits and their Industrial Applications
- Genetics and Genetic Engineering
- Practical Chemical Analysis
- Medical Physics Techniques
- Chemical Laboratory Techniques
- Industrial Applications of Organic Chemistry
Progression Routes – What’s in it for me?
A BTEC develops learners’ skills and understanding of work within a vocational context and offers direct progression on to BTEC Higher National programmes, Foundation Degree Programmes and First Degree Programmes. BTEC Nationals are recognised by higher education institutions and attract UCAS points.
If your plan is to go straight into employment, you could work in a research laboratory, a quality control laboratory, a hospital laboratory, a materials testing laboratory, a forensic science laboratory, a laboratory within an educational establishment or an environmental science laboratory.
Assessment: Awarding Body:
Coursework – 100% Edexcel
Results 2016: 100%
- Throughout this course you will be assessed via portfolio/coursework.
- Completing the Extended Diploma will allow you to gain a nationally recognised vocationally specific qualification to enter employment as a science technician or assistant practitioner, or to progress to Science qualifications in Higher Education.
- You will understand the role of the scientist, their relationship with the scientific community and their responsibilities towards the community and the environment.
Stoke6th Graduate Attributes
How SFC will help you to boost your CV by developing your skills and qualifications…
You will develop a range of skills and techniques, personal qualities and attributes essential for successful performance in working life.
During this course you will acquire technical and employability skills, knowledge and understanding.
What our students say…
“Choosing this course was the right choice for me as I enjoy science but I prefer coursework to exams.”
“I’ve really enjoyed the course as a lot of what we have done applies to the real world of work and I feel prepared for a future career in Science.”