Ever wondered how plants grow, how your own body works, how conservation projects work? Biology can give you the answers and you can develop your practical and analytical skills.
Study cell structure and cell division, DNA structure and function, ecology, biodiversity, human health, behaviour, genetics, the kidney, heart and lungs.
Biology combines well with all subjects and advice is available to help all students’ progress to study science at university and to enter a range of professions based on science.
- Plant Biology
- Cell structure
- Heart structure
- Lung structure
- Stem cells
- DNA & Genetics
- Good mathematical skills are needed to access and make progress in A Level Biology. As such, students wishing to study A Level Biology are advised to study either A Level Maths or A Level Statistics alongside.
- A practical based course exploring a variety of biological aspects.
- A course that will build your scientific vocabulary and develop your confidence.
- A course that will help you understand the world around you and the functioning of your own body.
Awarding Body: OCR
100% pass rate for the last 3 years.
14% improvement in high grades last year alone.
Where Courses Become Careers
Studying Biology at the Sixth Form College gives you the opportunity to pursue a general or a more specialised Biology degree at university or even enter the job market directly and train with an employer such as the NHS. Throughout the course you will develop life-long learning skills.
Careers can include: Forensic Scientist, Conservation Biologist, Toxicologist, Geneticist, Environmental Consultant, Pharmaceutical Sales Representative, Zoologist, Marine Biologist, and Forester.
Make your mark
How SFC will help you to boost your CV by developing your skills and qualifications…
We have many links with Staffordshire University and Staffordshire University Hospital who provide enrichment activities and open days throughout the year, exposing you to a variety of job opportunities and university level lab based work in the College’s brand new Science Centre.
Throughout the course you will also become a strong independent learner with excellent analytical and evaluative skills. You’ll be able to apply creativity and logic to solve problems, you’ll enhance your independent thought and you’ll develop your ability to discuss and communicate ideas.
Other courses on this pathway
- Applied Human Biology (BTEC)
- Applied Science (BTEC)
- Biology (A-Level)
- Cambridge National Certificate in Creative IMedia
- Chemistry (A-Level)
- Computer Science (A-Level)
- Computing (BTEC)
- Digital: Production, Design and Development (T-Level)
- Further Mathematics (A Level)
- Mathematics (A-Level)
- Mathematics (GCSE)
- Physics (A-Level)
- Science Combined (GCSE)
- Statistics (A-Level)