Topics you will study
- Practical Skills
- Foundations in Chemistry
- Periodic Table and Energy
- Core Organic Chemistry
- Physical Chemistry and Transition Elements
- Organic Chemistry and Analysis
Progression Routes – What’s in it for me?
Chemistry is an essential A Level to study for access to certain degree courses, such as Medicine, Veterinary Science and Dentistry.
The following are some of the other careers you could consider:
Pharmacy, Radiography, Forensic Science, Dietetics (the study of nutrition), Physiotherapy, Nursing, Archaeology, Geology, Engineering, Law, Finance.
Assessment: Awarding Body:
Exams – 100% (3 exams) OCR (Spec A)
Results 2017: 100%
- Challenging but regarding—Questions involving the use of mathematical skills within Chemistry will contribute to 20% of the assessment as such studying a mathematics qualification alongside the subject is highly recommended.
- Not limiting—opens up progression routes in the fields of medicine, pharmacy, biochemistry and forensic science.
- Hands on—lots of practical activities—at least one a week in fully equipped university labs.
- Chemistry is a prized A level to have and is recognised as such by top universities
Stoke6th Graduate Attributes
How SFC will help you to boost your CV by developing your skills and qualifications…
Chemistry is interesting, challenging and rewarding. It will help you to develop many of the Stoke6th Graduate attributes and provide you with transferable skills to take with you in your chosen career.
You will have to work hard, have good attention to detail and enjoy solving problems.
The key skills which you will develop on this course include: resilience, problem solving, team work, communication and independence.
What our students say…
“I want to study Medicine which is why I chose Chemistry. It’s really interesting”.
“I really enjoy the practical element of the course; it helps me to understand what is happening”