Topics your will study:
Compulsory Units – Year 1
- Principles and Applications of Science 1 (Exam)
- Practical Scientific Procedures and Techniques (Assignments)
- Science Investigation skills (External practical assessment)
- Laboratory Techniques and their Application (Assignments)
Optional Units – Year 1
- Biological Molecules and Metabolic Pathways (Assignments)
- Industrial Chemical Reactions (Assignments)
Compulsory Units – Year 2
- Unit 5 – Principles and Application of Science II (Exam)
- Unit 6 – Investigative project (Assignments)
- Unit 7 – Contemporary issues in Science (External assessment)
Optional Units – Year 2
- Physiology of Human Body Systems (Assignments)
- Human Regulation and Reproduction (Assignments)
- Practical Chemical Analysis (Assignments)
- Medical Physics Application (Assignments)
Progression Routes – What’s in it for me?
A BTEC develops learners’ skills and understanding of work within a vocational context and offers direct progression on to BTEC Higher National programmes, Foundation Degree Programmes, including Medicine, and First Degree Programmes. BTEC Nationals are recognised by higher education institutions and attract UCAS points.
Assessment: Awarding Body:
Exam – 30% Pearson Edexcel
Coursework – 70%
- Throughout this course you will be assessed via portfolio/coursework.
- Completing the Extended Diploma will allow you to gain a nationally recognised vocationally specific qualification to enter employment as a science technician or assistant practitioner, or to progress to Science qualifications in Higher Education.
- You will understand the role of the scientist, their relationship with the scientific community and their responsibilities towards the community and the environment.
Stoke6th Graduate Attributes
How SFC will help you to boost your CV by developing your skills and qualifications…
You will develop a range of skills and techniques, personal qualities and attributes essential for successful performance in working life.
During this course you will acquire technical and employability skills, knowledge and understanding.
What our students say…
“Choosing this course was the right choice for me as I enjoy science but I prefer coursework to exams.”
“I’ve really enjoyed the course as a lot of what we have done applies to the real world of work and I feel prepared for a future career in Science.”