Media Studies explores a range of contemporary forms of mass communication such as TV drama, music videos, video games, advertising and film marketing, newspapers and magazines, and online and social media.
You will study the values and messages within the media, how media texts are constructed, how people, places and events are portrayed, and how audiences respond to different media.
The course combines theoretical exploration and analysis with practice and you will develop a range of technical skills throughout the course.
Find Your Feet
Our study suite of Find Your Feet tasks have been designed to give you a taster of college life and the work involved by each subject. We recommend that you complete this work so that you know what to expect in September and to help you to choose the right subjects. There is no limit on how many subjects you can try, so find your feet in our study suite.
- It is important to note that this work has no bearing on entry requirements and any work completed will not be marked or graded.
- It is not required for you to bring any completed work with you in September, however, we would love for you to share your hard work.
- It is a great platform to start your learning conversations with teaching staff and peers in September.
Download your A Level Media Find Your Feet task here
Media Products, Industries and Audiences
- Analysis of examples from advertising, marketing, music video and newspapers, using the key media theoretical approaches.
- Look at the ways in which the industries of advertising, marketing, film, newspapers, radio and video games function
Media Forms and Products in Depth
- More developed critical analysis of television, magazines and online media.
- You will developed a sophisticated ability to ‘read’ and interpret the media, looking at specific examples.
- Practical work which allows you to put into practice the theory you have learned.
- Briefs are offered every year and focus around advertising and marketing, television, magazines and online media.
A mix of academic and practical study allows for a variety of exciting and engaging study which suits a variety of interests and learning styles.
Develop technical and practical skills by using the department’s wide facilities, including: the green screen, DSLR cameras, sound recorders and studio.
Develop analytical and evaluative skills in reading a wide range of media, and learn how to debate ideas academically through application of contemporary theoretical approaches.
Exams – 70%
Coursework – 30%
Awarding Body: Eduqas
2019 Results: 100%
Where Courses Become Careers
The range of skills required within Media Studies is recognised by both employers and universities as adaptable for a variety of courses and occupations.
The media industry employs a wide range of people: editors, journalists, engineers and researchers.
Within TV you can work in front of and behind the camera as camera operators, editors and production assistants.
There are numerous opportunities in radio and print journalism, and online media offers numerous opportunities to work via the internet in a wide range of occupations.
Make your mark
How SFC will help you to boost your CV by developing your skills and qualifications…
The opportunity to visit London during your second year of study.
A variety of guest speakers throughout the year from industry and universities, providing insights into contemporary media practices.
Opportunity to develop skills in the College’s Film Crew and Futures Programme, producing content for the college, for external companies and community groups.
Other courses on this pathway
- 3D Design – Product Design & Architecture (A-LEVEL)
- 3D Design – Textiles, Jewellery & Fashion (A-Level)
- Art & Design (A-Level)
- Art & Design (GCSE)
- Dance (A Level)
- Dance – Contemporary (BTEC)
- Digital Games Design & Development (BTEC)
- Digital Music Production (BTEC)
- Graphic Design (BTEC)
- Media (GCSE)
- Media Studies (A-Level)
- Music (A-Level)
- Music Performance (BTEC)
- Musical Theatre (BTEC)
- Photography (A-Level)
- Theatre (BTEC)
- TV & Film Production (BTEC)