- BTEC Extended Certificate
Topics you will study
- Detailed knowledge of contemporary dance styles including Graham, Cunningham, Release and Contemporary Jazz through practical technique classes.
- Development of technical and expressive contemporary dance skills.
- Historical & intercultural understanding of the evolution of contemporary dance.
- Detailed knowledge of choreography through a range of approaches (theatre, video, internet, site-specific, with community groups including a range of local primary schools)
- Critical reflection skills through self, peer and group evaluation.
Progression Routes – What’s in it for me?
This BTEC Dance (Contemporary) is suitable for anyone wanting to pursue the arts or dance in Higher Education, or as support for any future course requiring good communication and group work skills. Former students have gone onto study at Northern School of Contemporary Dance, London Studio Centre, Urdang and Bird College of Dance.
At Higher Education there are two distinct options:
- Universities offered over 470 courses at 78 institutions for entry in 2014, including dance as a single subject, combined with a wide range of other subjects and courses with a focus on particular career routes, such as teaching and dance in the community.
- Breaking the mould – There are many routes into a career in dance, and opportunities to demonstrate entrepreneurship and forge unique career pathways. Dance has provided a foundation for people to move into other art forms, particularly in circus, physical theatre, opera and digital technology. Careers include: performing, teaching, supporting professions, choreography.
Assessment: Awarding Body:
Practical Assessment – 100% Pearson Edexcel
Results 2016: 100%
- Many performance opportunities at the Regent Theatre, The Victoria Hall and National Events and competitions.
- The opportunity to develop dance teaching skills through the Primary School Enrichment Project in which small groups of BTEC Dance students work with a range of local Primary Schools.
- Workshops with cutting edge professional dancers and choreographers who are currently working in the contemporary dance sector.
Stoke6th Graduate Attributes
How we will help you to boost your CV by developing your skills and qualifications…
Dance demands and develops Stoke6th Graduate Attributes such as creativity, resilience, communication and the ability to solve problems.
Dance is a powerful force and encourages learners to look at creativity in a different, more rounded way, as dance incorporates so much else – music, visual art, design, and perhaps most importantly the athletic dynamics and potential of the human body. The way that people are able to use such knowledge in all fields of later life, including business and academia, is incredibly important.
What our students say…
“An outstanding course that gave me an understanding of range of contemporary dance styles and provided me with a wide variety of performance opportunities.”