Do you want to be part of one of the fastest growing industry sectors in the UK economy? Then you need to get involved in the creative and media industries, and studying Photography will take you there.
You will be introduced to a variety of experiences exploring a range of photographic techniques, styles and genres, including: portraiture, documentary, photojournalism, landscape and experimental imagery. You will develop technical understanding relating to the composition of images and an ability to explore the different elements of visual language.
Find Your Feet 2020
Our study suite of Find Your Feet tasks have been designed to give you a taster of college life and the work involved by each subject. We recommend that you complete this work so that you know what to expect in September and to help you to choose the right subjects. There is no limit on how many subjects you can try, so find your feet in our study suite.
- It is important to note that this work has no bearing on entry requirements and any work completed will not be marked or graded.
- It is not required for you to bring any completed work with you in September, however, we would love for you to share your hard work.
- It is a great platform to start your learning conversations with teaching staff and peers in September.
Download your A Level Photography Find Your Feet task here
- Practical DSLR camera Handling skills
- Portraiture and studio
- Alternative practice
- Sequencing and visual narrative
- Photo Essay
- The Landscape
- Light & Space
- Photographic History
- Second year projects allow for a focused investigation of the students choice.
- 100% Practical and Contextual work (NO theory based exams)
- Access to SLR Cameras and a range of lenses to develop skills.
- 100% Digital course including the development of digital image manipulation skills.
- Dedicated photographic studio
Externally set assignment – 40%
Coursework – 60%
Awarding Body: AQA
2019 Results: 97%
Where Courses Become Careers
This course allows students to apply for a variety of Higher Education courses including Foundation Degrees, HNDs and BA degrees in Art, Design and different areas of Photography. Courses such as Documentary Photography, Photographic Art, Fashion Photography, Fine Art, Art Practice, Graphic Design, Animation, Media Studies, Multimedia and Lens Based Media, Film and Television.
This course will develop the essential skills needed for study at a higher level and those needed for employment. Students could leave this course and gain direct entry to a junior position within a photographic studio, work based apprenticeships in film making with cinematography and could also pursue freelance photographer employment.
Make your mark
How SFC will help you to boost your CV by developing your skills and qualifications…
You will learn and develop skills through the use of industry standard software and facilities, preparing you for both higher education and employment.
You will study aspects of professional practice within photography and art and design as part of the course. In the second year you will be given the opportunity to specialise within a specific area of photography allowing you to develop a focused portfolio of work. This could support you gaining employment at an entry level directly from college.
All projects and assignments will focus on developing your own individual skills giving you the greatest opportunity to gain employability skills.
Additional activities such as trips, visits and guest speakers will be arranged throughout the course. These will be project and progression focused. These are optional activities and fees will be charged. Details will be available from the course leader.
Other courses on this pathway
- 3D Design – Product Design & Architecture (A-LEVEL)
- 3D Design – Textiles, Jewellery & Fashion (A-Level)
- Art & Design (A-Level)
- Art & Design (GCSE)
- Dance (A Level)
- Dance – Contemporary (BTEC)
- Digital Games Design & Development (BTEC)
- Digital Music Production (BTEC)
- Graphic Design (BTEC)
- Media (GCSE)
- Media Studies (A-Level)
- Music (A-Level)
- Music Performance (BTEC)
- Musical Theatre (BTEC)
- Photography (A-Level)
- Theatre (BTEC)
- TV & Film Production (BTEC)